Thursday, February 3, 2011

Murray Schafer and Jacques Attali

To put it simply, the difference between Murray Schafer and Jacques Attali is how to see sounds in nature: for Schafer, nature is harmonious and it is humans who pollute it; for Attali, nature is chaos, humans have been trying to articulate harmony out of it, and how they do so reflects the dominant ideologies of each time. I basically subscribe to Attali’s view. Nature is irrational and it does not listen to us. The notion of harmonious nature is a product of our ideology. Having said that, it can be said that nature articulates in itself--there are laws of physics, seasons....it rhythms--and it does not need us to be that way. Michel Gondry 2004 film Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, written by Charlie Kaufman and Michel Gondry, says it well:

Clementine: Joel, I'm not a concept. Too many guys think I'm a concept or I complete them or I'm going to make them alive, but I'm just a fucked up girl who is looking for my own peace of mind. Don't assign me yours.

But, Joel (played by Jim Carrey) says to Clementine (played by Kate Winslet): “I still thought you were going to save me. Even after that.” The relation between human and nature might have been like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment