Friday, January 7, 2011

thoughts and words

Matt Parkman, a fictional character of Heroes, is a mind-reader. The other people's thoughts come across as spoken words to him. When he was not aware of his ability, he responded to those words actually not spoken, and it broke his marriage. He cannot read Noah Bennet's thoughts because Bennet is thinking in "Japanese."

That's interesting, because I don't think what thinking is that way. In my view, thoughts themselves are not language. Thoughts are thoughts. They are like water of flowing river, and language is a container to scoop the water up. Language gives thoughts forms, but drawing or making music does so as well. If thinking is language, maybe I sometimes think therefore I sometimes am (I don't know how to put it into Latin).

Of course words often come to my mind, but this is rather like rehearsing. Especially at this moment I'm writing in my second language, I'm rehearsing what I'm going to write in my mind.

When words come to my mind, I'm communicating with my inner audience. When Hamlet makes a monologue, you're participating in his inner theater as his inner audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment