Tuesday, December 21, 2010

i have something to say and i am performing it

NO, NO, NO. I didn't mean to be a party pooper. I have nothing against Cage against the Machine. It is something that won't happen in the US and Japan anyway. I'm kind of envious, maybe. I like the British bands' long tradition of appropriating "serious" music (and making it more glamorous). So, why not John Cage?

I prefer this to the Royal British Legion's.

Watching the making of the "cover" of 4"33', I find that they have a lot of things to say and they are performing it. They cannot help doing something during the performance (recording). I think that's fine. I think that Cage's famous words, "I have nothing to say and I am saying it" should be translated as "I have something to say and I am performing it in saying nothing." He is doing it. And we know such a moment of finding ourselves acting like this from time to time in our everyday lives.

The Guardian's blog by Luke Bainbridge, "Why I'm backing Cage Against The Machine" says, "To dislike The X Factor is not to dislike pop." Apart from (perhaps) Dave Hilliard's intention, saying "Love pop, hate Simon Cowell," those pop artists, if you ask me, want to save their very notion of pop. There is an aspect of class struggle imagination here.

2 comments:

  1. It is really interesting to get a perspective on this outside of the UK! There are a number of reason's why caging against the machine didn't work this year and I wrote about them here; http://wandering-the-dream-space.blogspot.com/2010/12/cage-against-machine.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always good to know the inside. By the way, let me know your thoughts about Turner Prize, if you have any...

    ReplyDelete