Sunday, April 18, 2010

random notes

World People's Conference on Climate Change and the Rights of Mother Earth, led by Bolivia is going to launch the sessions on Monday in Cochabamba, Bolivia. Last week Democracy Now! announced that it would broadcast from there. The major media rarely mention about this meeting. Even The Guardian, which usually appears very enthusiastic about the issue, only put an article by its environment editor John Vidal, whose view about Evo Morales is slightly ironical, or indifferent, describing it "the hippiest environment meeting of the year."
During the COP15, I found The Guardian is basically critical about Bolivia on this issue, praising the UK negotiator's deal making, though I also found the other opinions on its website. At that time I was zapping many channels reporting from Copenhagen, for example:

I actually don't like such a back-to-nature kind of way of saying, also I feel the picture of WPCCC's website, in which Evo Morales leads people, is cheesy. But, I look forward to watching Democracy Now! next week.
Bolivia criticizes capitalism on the grounds that it is causing climate change. China, which was depicted by The Guardian as a deal breaker at the COP15, claims its efficiency to deal with climate change. It is curious that this article that says democracy is ineffective to deal with climate change appeared in The Guardian


Today I happened to find an essay by Simon Critchley, in which he tried to correct Slavoj Žižek's misunderstandings about his Infinitely Demanding, which I haven't read yet. Actually Žižek is not optimistic about Hugo Chávez or Evo Morales and sometimes critical about them, though when he wrote about the Critchley's book he put it this way. I don't take this as Žižek's praising Chávez, but pointing out the malfunction of liberal democracy. 
Critchley's reading of Žižek's Violence appears basically correct for me. I also felt that the last chapter of Violence doesn't get me anywhere. Perhaps clarifying thoughts about "non-violent violence" is not the aim of the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment